Sunday, January 31, 2010

Kids and Technology!

One year old using an iPhone...are you serious?!?!


Most people would probably watch this video and think how awesome it is that a one year old can use an iPhone. This is pretty cool if you sit back and think about how smart and how fast children are learning technology these days. For educators of future educators, this video is scary. That video is of a one year old really using an iPhone and understanding what he is doing. That child still has years before he enters the school system, what will he know by then? It makes me nervous to think that he and many like him will be in my classroom. Will I be prepared?
After watching the video I really sat back and thought about the children I will be teaching. They are going to be smart, fast, energetic, and wonderful children. I need to prepare myself to give them the best opportunity possible. Instead of being afraid, I need to practice, practice, practice all the technological gadgets I can get my hands on. This will be a continual process for the rest of my life. New things are invented everyday and I want to learn so that my students can learn.

Media Literacy
The first thing that caught my attention in the media literacy videos was how excited these students are. They did not just put together this video because it was a project they had do, they helped put it together because this is something they enjoy. In the video they loved showing off how they use blogs, make comments, use wikis, and so much more. They are excited to share what they are learning with the world. This is how the classroom should look! Regardless of the amount of technology, students should have an excitement and a joy in learning. I think that Ms. Cassidy has done a wonderful job.
The second thing that is just crazy about this video is that the students are in the first grade. Wow! We will be teaching these students and they will only get smarter and quicker and better at the use of technology. I love that they are so young and have found an excitement in using these tools. When I get into the classroom I hope to inspire my children to find a love for technology like Ms. Cassidy has. I would love to keep them interested in things that we are learning through the use of fun tools like blogs, Skye, and wikis. I am excited for my students to learn and for them to teach me as well.

Podcasts
Listening to the different podcasts was enjoyable. There were some really good ideas on many of them and then just some interesting thoughts on others. Through the SmartBoard Lessons podcast I found a neat website called wallwisher.com. This website is just another neat tool that can get kids interacting with each other and with the teacher.
The wallwisher.com website allows you put little post-its on a wall. It is a cute and creative way to have your children comment on an article or something of that sorts. You can also add music, video, etc to the wall.
I really enjoyed the SmartBoard Lessons podcasts. The broadcasters were just full of personality and it made it more interesting. I like the little bits of music that are in all the podcasts.
I like EdTalk has guest on their show so that other people have opinions and it is just a fun and informational conversation. I loved KidCast. It was just so informative. Tons of stuff to improve our teaching and keep the children involved.
I really enjoyed the podcasts and would like to use them in my classroom as another way to encourage my kids through the use of technology. I would even like for us to create our own podcast, make movies, and use digital photography.


1 comment:

  1. Good job Amanda. Don't worry, you will get to create your own podcast very soon. You will create a script and PRACTICE. Hopefully, by listening to these podcast you know have some ideas on what to do for your own. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete