Wednesday, March 10, 2010

ALEX and ACCESS

I really enjoyed the ALEX website. The site has so many resources for teachers, administrators, and students. I probably spent almost two hours just searching through all the fun stuff that this site offers. First of all, ALEX provides students with many websites that offer them educational sites to explore on the web. They can find resources on ALEX from looking up certain animals to help with homework. Also, there is a link to an online translator. Children and parents can find resources on ALEX for counseling and guidance. It is easy to navigate through the site and find the information you need.

For teachers, I think ALEX is such a valuable reference to have. It provides lesson plans for every grade and every subject. There are also teaching tools and learning tools on the site. Countless handouts and references can be found to help in your classroom. Something interesting I found was the access to links for developmental opportunities and for grants. I will be using the ALEX site as a teacher. One thing I really like is the podcast treasury. I will also provide parents with a handout of the site's address. I think it is a wonderful reference for everyone and should be utilized.


ACCESS
Wow! I had never heard of any opportunities like those that the ACCESS (Alabama Connecting Classroom, Educators and Students Statewide) program allows. The ACCESS program allows students the opportunity to take Advanced Placement, elective, and other courses on the internet, that they may not normally have access to. It is a program set up by the state of Alabama for all public high schools. The ACCESS program uses the internet and E-teachers. The program is free to students. Schools are responsible for the equipment, internet access, and textbooks that may be required. All of the ACCESS classes meet Alabama Course of Study standards.

I think that the ACCESS program is fabulous. I believe that the students should be given the chance to take courses that may not otherwise be offered to them. When I was in high school I would have loved to had the opportunity to take some of the classes offered by ACCESS. The site also allows for teachers to learn about ACCESS and even become involved by applying to be an ACCESS distance learning teacher or facilitator. I do not plan to teach high school so as of right now this program does not effect my career but I still think it is wonderful. If I were certified I would not mind being a ACCESS facilitator. I believe that high school teachers, parents, and students should take full advantage of the ACCESS program.

3 comments:

  1. Amanda,

    I also liked ALEX. It seems like a very helpful site for educators. I am teaching sixth grade now and I have already used ALEX. Now that I know about it, I can utilize it more. I have found some really good lessons for my class. I still have to research it more and look around on the site to find out more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Amanda. Glad to see the graphics and weblinks. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used ALEX before and I loved it. There is so many topics to pick from. Good Job Amanda!

    ReplyDelete