Sunday, March 7, 2010

Randy Pausch Video

What an amazing lecture! I really enjoyed watching this lecture. Randy Pausch is such an awesome speaker but most importantly he was speaking to help others. He was using his lecture to encourage and help others. Even in Randy Pausch's state, he lives each day to have fun and to make life better for future children. His speech was extremely encouraging and I believe that all educators should take time to watch this video.

I love Randy Pausch's enthusiasm and excitement. I love his vision for future generations and for helping children enable dreams. One of my favorite parts of the lecture was when he was discussing his class that he instructed and how he was blown away by the first project they completed. I love that he did not just say, "way to go everyone!", but instead he called people and found more ways to stretch the students' abilities. WOW! He looked for other ways that they could use their wonderful ideas and made the projects bigger and better. He believed in them.

Pausch exhibits many teaching methods in his lecture. The one above, believing in his students and helping them reach their fullest potential, I really enjoyed hearing. He also used group work in his classes. He said that it was great for his students and their bonding. Pausch believes that students should have fun while learning. I totally agree. I do not think that students should sit in class bored to death. I love that in all his classes, he uses fun activities to help students learn.

He used many examples from his own experiences, he explained how two people said the same thing to him but how each of them worded it differently. The men both said the same thing but one man tore down Pausch and the other man built him up. He taught the lesson to watch how you speak and how you word things to your students. Pausch discussed how we will run into brick walls but that they are not the end all. A lot of his lecture was basically about letting kids be kids and enjoying life.

I could talk about this lecture for hours. I will just mention a few more points that he made. Respect authority while questioning it. Sell something worthwhile. Never lose childlike wonder. Have fun. Never give up! Ignore everything they say and only focus on what they do. Have a feedback loop and listen to it. Show gratitude. Don't complain, just work harder. I loved the video!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVED watching this video! I am really glad that I did even though it was over an hour long. Ir really didn't matter that it was that long because he said a lot of meaningful points about life. He was very funny too!

    Oh and btw..LOVE YOU! and the pic you gave me!

    ReplyDelete